Thursday, December 4, 2008

PG - The Lady Doth Protest too Much - Degrassi Junior High/Degrassi High - Melanie/Kathleen

“I can't believe Miss Avery gave us a 4-part assignment,” Melanie pouted. “I mean, it looks so hard.”

Kathleen smirked viciously. “I guess she just wants to distract us from her and her girlfriend,” she said, making Melanie roll her eyes exaggeratedly.

“Will you get over that rumour already? How is her sexuality any of your business anyway?” Melanie asked, really sick of hearing “Miss Avery's a lesbian” again and again and again and again.

“Why are you so defensive of her?” Kathleen asked, squinting suspiciously. “You're worse than Caitlin. Are you sure your not a lezzie too?”

Melanie sighed. “No, and I'm secure enough with my sexuality to not care about anyone else's. But, you want to know what kind of vibe I'm getting off you?” she said, finally losing her temper. “Shakespeare put it into words properly; the phrase is “the lady doth protest too much, methinks”.”

Kathleen's jaw dropped open. “What did you just call me?”

Melanie felt a sadistic pleasure at how offended Kathleen was. “Don't worry, Kathleen, there's nothing wrong with being a lesbian. But it would be better if you could just admit it, and not take it out on innocent teachers.”

“But I'm not,” whined Kathleen, too emphatically for Melanie to actually take her seriously. Kathleen felt like she was in the middle of an Earthquake, desperately hoping the crack underneath her wouldn't widen.

“You sure?” asked Melanie, and without another moment's hesitation, she leaned over and kissed Kathleen with a resounding smack. It was quick, innocent, and likely to really freak Kathleen out.

That crack? Opened up and swallowed Kathleen whole.

“I...I though you were straight!” she spat out, her stomach twisting into bizarre patterns that would probably resemble some sort of tropical bird if someone took them out of her stomach and spread them out on a table. Her heart's rate sped up to 500 million times normal speed, and she found her face growing beet red.

Melanie shrugged. “I am. Most of the time,” she said, confusingly. “Kathleen, sexuality isn't so straight forward as everyone thinks. Most of the time I am straight, but I wanted to freak you out, and you're really pretty.”

Kathleen felt herself blushing an even deeper red. “I... I am?” the twisty feeling in her stomach she knew perfectly well to identify as butterflies, but... no. Kathleen was not a lesbian. Kathleen could not be a lesbian. Kathleen hated lesbianism. None of this could really be happening; it was all a nightmare or alternate universe she'd accidentally been transported to or something.

Melanie nodded. “Yeah.”

Kathleen started shaking violently. In spite of her claimed heterosexuality, she liked the kiss. A lot. She was really torn over whether to slap Melanie for doing that or grab her and kiss her again. Kathleen began to feel dizzy.

Melanie looked at Kathleen as she shook and swayed. “Kathleen... are you okay?” Come on, I'm not that bad a kisser...

And Kathleen fainted.

No comments: